I'm not sure if you know this since I post (and obsess over) all sorts of baked goods but doughnuts totally take the crown for me (and my husband) in the dessert department. We have been especially in love with dosants lately OMG (which is a cross between a doughnut and a croissant) but that is a whole other conversation. I rarely make doughnuts at home because they are a bit time consuming and I think they taste better at my favorite bakeries. However, these right here are super easy if you want to relax at home on a Saturday morning. There's no batter making fuss at all, I just used Pillsbury biscuits! You really can't even tell the difference, and they are small enough so you can sample every flavor. I doughnut know what I'd do without them.
For Frying -
1 tube Pillsbury biscuits (small not grands)
For Topping -
1. Fill a small skillet about halfway with vegetable oil. The skillet should be at least 1-1/2 inches tall.
2. Warm the oil on medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Do NOT put on high heat or the doughnuts will fry too fast (and be raw in the middle).
3. Flatten each biscuit with fingers and cut a circle in center. I use a frosting tip to pop it out. You can also use a hot sauce cap or something else small you have in the pantry.
4. Drop doughnuts in oil and fry each side until golden (30-90 seconds per side). Use tongs to flip them when ready.
5. Place finished doughnuts on a plate layered with paper towels to remove excess oil.
6. Pour desired toppings into separate bowls. Toss warm doughnuts in powdered sugar, sugar, and cinnamon sugar mixtures.
7. Best enjoyed fresh, and so addicting!