Springtime Dirt Cups
Spring is in full swing around here! You know its about that time when those colorful Peeps start hitting the shelves. I know a whole lot of people that are not big peeps fans, but I sure am. I'm a leave your peeps open on the counter for a week to get stale kind of girl. Yum! These little chicks make the perfect addition to your classic dirt cups along with some coconut grass and candy eggs. If making for a crowd or pot luck, you can pick up a large plastic or clay pot from the dollar store and double (sometimes triple) the recipe for one big serving. For best results, prepare the night before so the cookies have time to soften before serving. Great for Easter Sunday, or any spring gathering!
1 package family size Oreos (regular not double stuffed)
5 oz box chocolate pudding (large box)
3 cups 2% milk
8 oz Cool Whip (thawed in refrigerator)
1 cup shredded coconut
green food coloring
robin eggs candy
clear cups for individual servings
*family size treat - double the recipe and layer in a large plastic or clay pot
1. Crush entire box of Oreos in a food processor and set aside.
2. Whisk pudding and milk for 2 minutes. Refrigerate pudding for 5 minutes until thick.
3. Add Cool whip to pudding and whisk until combined and smooth.
4. Stir one cup of the cookie crumbs into the pudding mixture.
5. Starting with the pudding, layer small cups with pudding mixture and cookie crumbs two times each (pudding, cookies, pudding, cookies).
6. Cover each cup with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight.
7. Just before serving, dye the coconut with a few drops of green food coloring. Continuously stir until the color evens out and there are no dark spots.
8. Top each cup with coconut grass, robins eggs and a marshmallow chick, tweet tweet!