New York Cherry Ice Cream
This flavor brings me back to my childhood. It was a simpler time when the only thing you had to worry about in summer was having fun. We loved visiting the old fashioned ice cream parlors in the area and there was a place we loved in Michigan as well (Oinks). This seemed to be a common flavor at those parlors and I loved maraschino cherries as a kid so I would order this flavor pretty often. I still have no idea why "New York" is in the name but I kept it to be nostalgic. The good thing about making your own ice cream is you can add extra, so you better believe I threw in some extra cherries so I can enjoy one in every bite.
18 oz jar maraschino cherries (halved, save 2 TB juice)
2 TB maraschino cherry juice
2 pasteurized eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup 2% milk
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1. Make sure your basin is frozen solid before starting your ice cream. Set chopped cherries aside until ice cream is ready.
2. Place all remaining ingredients in blender and mix well. This helps to make the ice cream extra creamy.
3. Transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturers instructions.
4. Once the ice cream stiffens (with about 3 minutes remaining) pour in the cherries. After 3-5 more minutes they should be evenly incorporated.
5. Transfer ice cream to an ice cream container (or air tight container). Freeze overnight for best consistency.