Such a pretty spring dessert! These lemon butter cookies are all dressed up and ready for your next brunch or garden party. The cream cheese icing flower adds the perfect touch and sweetness. My mother in law is a HUGE fan of lemon, so you better believe these made an appearance at her birthday celebration. I also made a lemon icebox cake to go alongside so be on the lookout for that recipe soon. I highly recommend them both for all of you lemon lovers out there. So when life gives you lemons, make dessert!
2 sticks unsalted butter (room temp)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1-1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 TB water
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 TB fresh lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
5-1/2 cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In an electric mixer cream butter, oil, and sugar until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar, water, lemon juice and lemon zest.
3. Add in eggs and the remainder of the ingredients. Mix well until combined and dough forms.
4. Roll the dough into balls and place on a nonstick cookie sheet. To give the cookies their rough edges, use the bottom of a glass to flatten each cookie before baking.
5. Bake 8-10 minutes until bottoms are slightly brown. Let cookies cool completely before decorating. Prepare the lemon cream cheese frosting below.
1 stick unsalted butter (room temp)
4 oz cream cheese (room temp)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
Wilton 1M piping tip
piping bag (or ziplock bag with corner cut off)
fresh lemon zest (for garnish)
1. In electric mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth.
2. Add the remainder of the ingredients (except the lemon zest) and beat until combined.
3. Once cookies are completely cooled, pipe a flower on top of each cookie and sprinkle with fresh lemon zest.