Suns out, buns out! These adorable little cookies made the perfect family picnic treat today. I can't take credit for the recipe (I wish I could) but I have been eating these since I was a kid. Mom used to make them all the time for our swim parties, sports picnics, and road trips. They were a summer staple and everyone was always so excited when these made an appearance. It doesn't get much cuter (or tastier) than cookie burgers!
1 box Nilla wafer cookies
1 box Keebler grasshopper cookies
1 tube Betty Crocker red frosting
1 tube Betty Crocker yellow frosting
1 cup flaked coconut
5 drops green food coloring
1. Divide the box of Nilla wafer cookies in half (for top and bottom buns). I like to use all of the best looking cookies for the tops.
2. Spread honey over the tops of the cookies and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Set aside.
3. Lay out the grasshopper cookies (for meat) and squeeze 2 dollops of red frosting on opposite sides of the cookie. Squeeze 2 more dollops of yellow frosting on the remaining two sides of the cookie.
4. Using a fork, blend the coconut with the food coloring until green. Sprinkle over the dollops of frosting. Make sure it sticks out over the edges.
5. Turn all of the bottom buns flat side up and squeeze on a dollop of frosting. Secure the grasshopper cookies onto the bottom buns.
6. Put another dollop of frosting under the top buns and press them down onto the coconut (lettuce).