Updated: Apr 18, 2019
Did you know you could make this fall festival guilty pleasure at home?! Why yes you can! These are actually much easier than they look. (As long as you don't flip excitedly like I did and splash grease all over the stove). What can I say I couldn't wait to eat one! Confession: I doused these guys in so much powdered sugar they actually resembled ghosts. EEEK. Either way they are sure to be a monster hit!
vegetable oil for frying
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup + 2 TB milk
20 drops green food coloring
2 cups flour
2 TB baking powder
black food gel
1. In a small 6x6 saucepan, heat 1 inch of oil on medium heat for 5-8 minutes (pan must be at least 2 inches deep).
2. In a large bowl whisk together sugar, eggs and cinnamon.
3. Add the milk and food coloring, continue to whisk.
4. Whisk in the remainder of the ingredients until smooth
5. Pour batter in piping bag, ziplock bag (cut tip), or pitcher with spout.
6. Squeeze batter into saucepan. I draw a circle, then inside the circle I make a tic tac toe, then fill it in with a few more squirts of batter.
7. Fry 15-30 seconds per side for a fluffy cake, 45-60 seconds per side for a crunchy cake. Use metal tongs for easy flipping.
8. Slice a marshmallow in half. Place halves sticky side down on each funnel cake (should make about 4-6 depending on size of pan used. Dot marshmallow eyes with gel.