I've been away from this website for a bit, but what better time to come back then the FALL! This is arguably the best season for recipes. We've got apple and pumpkin everything, cozy soups and crock pot meals, Halloween recipes (which are my personal favorite). I'm getting giddy just thinking of my annual Halloween party next week. Speaking of which, LOTS of Halloween recipes to follow here so stay tuned. As far as this applesauce goes, my family and I visited the orchard last weekend so I made it with the most delicious hand picked apples. Lets just say it did not disappoint!
8 golden delicious apples (bonus points if you picked them yourself!)
1 TB lemon juice
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1. Give your crockpot a nice coating of cooking spray. I do this with everything I make to prevent that crusty burnt ring that always seems to appear.
2. Core and peel all of your apples. Chop into chunks and place them in the crock pot.
3. Toss the apples in lemon juice. This prevents browning while cooking.
4. Whisk together sugar, cinnamon and water. Pour over apples.
5. Set crock pot to high and cook for 3 hours. Stir once about every hour.
6. Using a potato masher, smash apples until desired consistency. I prefer mine a bit chunky. You can also throw it in a blender if you like a smoother texture.
7. Cook for 30 more minutes once smashed / blended to your liking.
8. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.