32 oz chicken broth
1 cup shredded carrots
2 cups water
4 russet potatoes (peeled, sliced thin and quartered)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb hot Italian sausage (substitute ground turkey for healthier option)
1 onion (chopped)
1 TB minced garlic
5 cups chopped kale
1 cup heavy whipping cream
parmesan cheese (for topping)
1. Bring chicken broth, carrots, water, potatoes, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to a boil. Simmer while preparing the rest of the soup.
2. Brown sausage in a skillet, drain grease. Add sausage to the broth.
3. Saute onions until translucent about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and continue cooking for one minute. Add to soup.
4. Stir in kale, and continue simmering 5-10 minutes.
5. Stir in heavy cream until heated through. Serve soup sprinkled with parmesan cheese.