Caramel Turtle Cookies
Updated: Apr 18, 2019
These are definitely a holiday favorite. I know you are wondering why I am posting these in February, but Valentine's Day is considered a holiday right? The good thing is these cookies can be enjoyed any time of the year weather it's Christmas, Easter, or just a random Sunday afternoon. They make a great gift too! Who doesn't love the combination of caramel and chocolate?
2 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs (separated for recipe)
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 - 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
1. Using an electric mixer, bet butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add egg yolks, milk, and vanilla. Continue beating until combined, scraping the sides often.
3. Slowly beat in the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
4. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. In a small bowl whisk egg whites and set aside.
6. Remove dough from refrigerator. Roll dough into balls, dip in egg whites, and roll into crushed pecans.
7. Place balls on a greased cookie sheet. Make an indentation in the center of each ball using the back of a 1/2 teaspoon.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 11 minutes.
9. Remove the cookies from oven and repeat indentation in each cookie with 1/2 teaspoon. Place on cooling rack while preparing the caramel filling.
Caramel filling -
30 caramel candies
3 TB heavy cream
1. Microwave caramels and cream together for 90 seconds and stir until smooth.
2. Using a small spoon, fill the center of each cookie.
3. Let cool 5 minutes before adding the drizzle.
Chocolate drizzle -
3 oz semi sweet chocolate bar (or chocolate chips)
1. Microwave chocolate according to package directions
2. Drizzle over cookies with a candy squeeze bottle or through the corner of a plastic bag.